Banana Nutella Muffins
You’ll Need To…
Pre-heat your oven to 375° F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin and lightly spray with cooking spray (this keeps the muffins from sticking inside the paper when you try to take them out… trust me, you don’t want to leave any in there!). Mash your nanners on a cutting board (so they’re easy to scrape into the bowl)… I use a fork and it works perfectly!
Combine flour, wheat germ*, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate large bowl, mix mashed bananas, melted butter, and the egg. Then add the greek yogurt and vanilla.
*You don’t have to use wheat germ, it just makes them a bit healthier. If you do use it though, use 2 tbsp less flour.
Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and mix until they are just combined. Then add in the nutella (the best part) and walnuts.
This is what your finished batter will look like!
Scoop the batter into the muffin tin (an ice cream scooper will work perfectly!) Top each muffin with a few slices of banana and a few chopped walnuts. It makes them even more delicious, and they will look prettier too!
Bake your muffins for 25-30 minutes. You don’t want to over cook them… if you aren’t sure if they’re done, you can stick a toothpick in one, and if it comes out clean, they’re ready! Cool the muffins on a wire rack, and drizzle with nutella. The extra nutella is seriously the best part, so don’t be afraid to COVER them with nutella!
Why yes, I will eat these ANY day of the week!
A few notes…
1. These were not as sweet as I expected, because when I think nutella, i think SWEET! I added extra nutella to my updated recipe so I think they have the perfect sweetness now, but just remember- they are muffins, not cupcakes (I’ll be posting a nutella cupcake recipe soon though!) so they won’t be overwhelmingly sweet!
2. If you don’t life walnuts, you don’t have to add them! Or if you prefer a different kind of nuts (pecans, almonds, etc) you can use those too! Nuts just give the muffins a nice extra texture and flavor!
Ways I Eat these delicious muffins
- For breakfast, all by themselves (they’re not too sweet for breakfast!)
- As a snack, sometimes with an extra spoonful of nutella
- For dessert, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
You can eat these babies however you want, but they are always delicious! I hope you enjoyed reading about making these, but I hope you enjoy making (and eating) them even more!
If you have questions/comments/suggestions, let me know! Thanks for reading!
Here’s the full recipe:
1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour
2 tbsp wheat germ (optional, but if you use it, subtract 2 tbsp of flour)
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
¼ cup melted butter
½ cup plain greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
¾ cup walnuts
¾ cup nutella
¼ cup walnuts, chopped
1 ripe banana, sliced
Nutella to drizzle
You’ll need to…
- Pre-heat the oven to 375° F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Mash your bananas on a cutting board.
- Combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed bananas, melted butter, and the egg. Then add the greek yogurt and vanilla.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and mix until they are just combined. Then add in the nutella (the best part) and walnuts.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tin (and ice cream scooper will work perfectly!) Top each muffin with a few slices of banana and a few chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool the muffins on a wire rack, and drizzle with nutella.