Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
So I know I was taking a temporary break since I baked so much last week, but I couldn’t stay out of the kitchen for too long… what can I say, it’s my weakness and I can’t help myself! And besides, I am a firm believer in doing what you love, so bake I shall! I also know I said my next recipe would have chocolate and hazelnut, but this was a special request 🙂
One my best friends in the world, Marina (check out her blog, it’s so fantastic), threw a Gender Reveal party for our friend, Jessica, who is having a baby girl! Let me just tell you– Marina is the BEST party hostess there ever was, so I felt pretty honored to be able to help! And since Jessica’s favorite cupcakes are red velvet, I jumped at the chance to make them for the party! The great thing about this recipe is how SIMPLE it is… really! This is quite possibly the easiest recipe I have posted so far, and they are YUMMY! So let’s get to it:
You’ll need to…
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan and set it aside for later. In a medium bowl, sift together all of the dry ingredients.
In a large bowl, beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla with a mixer until they are well blended. Then add the food coloring and the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until well combined.
Scoop the batter into each cup, filling them about 2/3 full.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Ok guys, don’t you agree, easiest recipe I’ve posted?! I think so 🙂 And they are so tasty… people will think they were a lot harder to make because they are too yummy, and you can go ahead and let them! They definitely satisfied my sweet tooth for the day, and I got great reviews from everyone at the party too! I doubled the recipe because we needed 24 for the party (which means the actual recipe makes 24) so if the pictures look like there’s a lot more than you have when you make them, don’t worry! I made twice as much as you’ll be making! But seriously guys, MAKE THEM! They’re great 🙂
I hope you all had an amazing weekend, and now I think you should go make yourself some cupcakes! I will be heading out for a run to burn off these delicious babies, but I’ll see you when I post my next recipe!
Here’s the full recipe…
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cups sugar
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tbsp cocoa powder
¾ cups vegetable oil
½ cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tbsp red food coloring
½ tsp distilled white vinegar
¾ tsp vanilla
8 oz cream cheese
½ cup butter
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla
You’ll need to…
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla with a mixer.
- Add the food coloring and the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until well combined.
- Scoop the batter into each cup, filling them about 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Add powdered sugar slowly until you reach the consistency you like. (I always add a half cup at a time, until I reach the perfect taste and consistency… you can always add more, but you can’t take any out so slow is best!)
- Frost your cupcakes once they are COMPLETELY cooled!